Like many young families, this growing family needed some additional space, but were not interested in leaving their neighbourhood or their home, so they opted to put a small addition onto the back. Tastefully designed, this addition adds the needed space but from all vantage points on the exterior, it looks as though it was always part of the house.
Adding 306 square feet to both the basement and the main floor, this compact design was able to add:
- a boot room style entry off the back of the house with lockers for the kids
- a beautiful master bedroom with a vaulted ceiling
- an ensuite with tiled shower surround
- a modest walk in closet with an additional storage room in the vault above the entry
- a basement living room with gas fireplace
- a large covered area at the back entrance
The addition included an Insulated Concrete Form basement, spray foam walls and ceiling and high efficiency windows. The exterior of the addition was matched to the new house by using the same siding and then replacing the soffit, fascia and eaves to give continuity between them.
At the end of the day, this addition looks as if it was part of the original design.